Friday, February 4, 2011

The Day the Giants Walk



While lying in bed restless last night , I could not help but think of the future of handmade bows.
I had many disturbing thoughts race through my mind.Coupled with medicine I think the thoughts went overboard.

In particular I was thinking about Walmart and its effects on the mom n pop's stores.What happened in the USA does mirror what happened here in Singapore as well.With seduction of cost effective and competitively priced goods , the bigger supermarkets effectively managed to bull doze the smaller family run businesses out of the way.After all who doesn't want more bang for their buck?
It will not be long before some giant swoops onto producing and selling bows too.Are bow makers doomed to suffer the same fate?

Already we face a saturated market .There is a bow galore practically everywhere.To stay in the game to produce the best bows is tantamount to one's survival.Bow makers have unleased creativity beyond expectations. Bows have certainly come a long way.

Bow making is an art.Sure anyone could make bows these days by watching you tube.But it does take more than just that.To be able to match colors and sizes of ribbon and to create something so delightful that you are rewarded with  happy squeals of  both buyer (usually the good old mum!)and wearer!!(the modern day little princess!).

It makes my day whenever I am told how excited the child was when she received the bows.I can practically see the gleam in her eyes and that broad broad smile.I savor moments like these.Worth every finger prick and burnt fingers on hot glue!!

Till the next time my friends do remember that the fate of handmade bows lie in your hands.Support your local bow makers!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment